Home

Saturday 18 November 2017

Knit Fabric Wrap Dress

 
 
I was lucky enough to be asked to be a guest blogger for Brave Fabrics.  I selected a gorgeous knit from Art Gallery Fabrics Woodland collection from Brave Fabrics awesome range to make my own take on the CharliAnne Wrap Dress by Sew To Grow
 
Head over to Brave Fabrics to see my guest post and you can also purchase the fabric and pattern to make your own!

First, lets talk fabric.  This fabric is amazing!! It is SO soft and stretchy with the perfect amount of thickness and drape.  It is such high quality.  It washes beautifully and was a dream to sew with.  Honestly, I'm more of a woven fabrics girl but these knits by AGF could convert me!  It didn't stretch out of shape whilst sewing like some knits do, it was even easy to hem!  I use a vintage (1976) Bernina sewing machine, so I don't have a fancy walking foot or a lot of fancy stitch options.  However I didn't need them, this fabric was a dream to sew!

The pattern I used was the CharliAnne Wrap Dress which is a new pattern by Sew To Grow.  Full disclosure: I now have 3 of these dresses and have hacked 2 tops from the pattern.  I'm a bit obsessed!  I was originally going to make a different dress, but once I got the fabric I knew it had to be a wrap dress.
 
The CharliAnne Wrap Dress is a pattern for woven fabric.  I cut out my usual size, however made it knee length rather than the full length.  I used the darts in the skirt and bodice front as I didn't want my dress to be too clingy.  I did omit the darts from the back bodice.  To stop the dress stretching too much, I used a woven bias to finish the edges as per the instructions in the pattern.  This worked beautifully and as you can see, it lays really nicely. 
 
For reference (and to make it easy for you to order your fabric & pattern from Brave Fabrics) I made a size XS and used 2.25m of fabric.  If you are making a larger size you will need 2.5 - 3m of knit fabric.  For the bias just use some of your favourite woven fabric from your stash and make it per the instructions in the pattern.
 
I am SO happy with this dress and in love with the fabric.  I know it will be on high rotation for all seasons!

Happy Sewing!
xox Allison

1 comment:

  1. This dress is so flattering on you and the fabric sounds wonderful. Also love the boots!

    ReplyDelete