However, this is a favourite trick of mine when making muslins out of scrap fabric.
When I'm using a new dress pattern for the first time the fit of the shoulders, bust and waist is most important to me. Typically I'm making a full / flared skirt so my butt can be as big as it wants to be and the skirt portion will fit! However, I have to more carefully consider the fit of my upper body (which is sometimes up to 2 sizes smaller than my lower half!).
Rather than using up lots of fabric to make a muslin of the skirt, which I know will fit, I make just the top. If the muslin works out I have a lovely new top to wear with jeans or a skirt. If it doesn't work out, I haven't wasted many metres of fabric.
Here are 2 examples of my top half muslin making magic!
The first is The Rosie Dress by Cotton & Chalk. I used a rayon purchased from my Church fête, sadly there wasn't enough to make a whole dress. I was between sizes so went with the larger size. Mistake! It was huge, so huge that I think I lost some of the original shape taking it in. The neckline is designed for a more endowed woman than I, so I had to take that in too. All in all, if the fabric wasn't so pretty I'd probably discard this one. I really don't see myself making the dress, which is a shame because I've seen fabulous versions of it on Instagram. Who knows, maybe I will give it another go...
|No idea what I'm doing here. Clearly, I'm a professional model!|
The second top is The Olivia Dress also by Cotton & Chalk. I was much happier with this one and have since made it into a long sleeved maxi dress. For this muslin I used a cotton lawn which was gifted to me. I didn't have to make any tall girl alterations for this one!
|The shot everyone who sews can relate too|
- tucking in a loose thread!