Home

Monday 5 October 2015

I Made It Monday: DIY Circle Skirt

Welcome back to "I Made It Monday"!

Last week I made a couple of circle skirts for my little girls.  They loved them because nothing is more twirly than a circle skirt!  Which got me thinking: I don't have a circle skirt.  As you all know, I have a lot of pleated midi skirts and am now the proud owner of 2 maxi skirts, but no circle skirts.

That very same day that I had the "no circle skirt" revelation I was hunting for vintage dress patterns at my local Salvation Army and saw a pretty blue and green chambray meets gingham round table cloth.  A round table cloth could be turned into a circle skirt, right?!  The worst part, hemming, was already done!  For $3.00 I was going to give it a try! 

Now the internet does not need another circle skirt tutorial so I'm not going to give one.  Plus, I made so many mistakes with what should have been a very simple and straight forward project that I don't feel like I'm in a position to write a tutorial.

First I was going to put in an exposed elastic waistband, and cut the centre circle accordingly (to fit over my hips).  Then I decided that a waistband with a zipper would look more polished.  I had cut such a huge circle (clearly my mathematics was off) that I was able to cut a waistband out of the off cut.  I sewed that to my skirt and sewed in a zip... however I had failed to try the skirt on (BIG mistake) and when I put it on it fell right off.  Sigh... it was a bit big! 

At this point I was ready to re-donate it to the Salvation Army, but I refuse to be beaten.  So I unpicked the zip, which just made me begrudge the skirt more, and sewed up the hole and threaded elastic through the waistband.

If you've stuck with me through this ranting comedy of errors I commend you!  Basically what was going to be an elastic waisted skirt took some time consuming and frustrating detours just to end up being an elastic waisted skirt.  If it wasn't so pretty I wouldn't have stuck with it!




Top: Refashioned by Me (coming to blog next week) / Skirt: Me / Sandals: Big W

And you can't help but twirl like a little girl in a circle skirt!


Photos c/o my wonderful Husband

10 comments:

  1. What great fabric! I love that you see potential for sewing projects everywhere you go. Sorry the skirt was a bit of a pain to finish but it looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beth! Really, I should know better than to assume a simple project will be simple!!! I'm so happy with it, I love the weight from the heavy fabric. I'll be on the hunt for more round tablecloths for sure!!! x Allison

      Delete
  2. Beautiful!!
    Jaymie
    www.jaymieashcraft.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all wow! Nice job finishing this! I have done something similar to this and out of fustration it's still in my fabric box. Maybe I should break it out and try again! Looks great and nicely done!

    www.mylittlenest.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Ruth! I swear there is nothing elastic can't fix, it's the duct tape of the sewing world! x Allison

      Delete
  4. I can't believe this was a table cloth, it looks amazing!

    Thank you for joining TBT Fashion link up and hope to see you next week. Have a great weekend!

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alice! It really is such pretty fabric. x Allison

      Delete
  5. OMG, i am looking to find a skirt like that! Its gorgious!!!
    www.fashionandfoodandotherstuff.com

    ReplyDelete