Home

Monday 10 August 2015

I Made It Monday: Adding Lace Detail

I'm a girly girl who loves lace, floral and all things pretty!

I had been seeing tops with different lace details in the shops and thought "I can do that!".

I took an old knit top and decided to add the lace to the front; I simply sewed it over the existing shirt!

Here's how I did it:

1.  Take an existing top and make sure it is laid flat.  (I don't suggest using a tight fitting top unless your lace has the same amount of stretch as your top.)

2. Pin a piece of lace to the top following the side, bottom, neck & should seams.  Cut lace close to the line of pins.

3. Sew lace along line of pins; ensuring you don't sew the back of the top to the front!

4. Trim any excess lace to give a neat finish.


 

 
Apologies for the bad mirror selfie;
 life & bad weather got in the way of proper photos!


 Ta da!  From boring to fabulous!

I liked the look of the raw edge of the lace, however if you want a more polished look I suggest making a narrow hem around your lace before attaching to your top.



You could (and I probably will!) make variations by adding lace only to the shoulders, or giving your top a lace yoke, or sleeves, or back. The possibilities are endless!

6 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I love lace and florals as well. Can't get enough of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so great to use to change up a top!

    www.mylittlenest.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ruth! I'm digging thru my closet to find other things to add lace to! X Allison

      Delete
  3. You're such an artist! Love the idea of customizing with laze basic clothes. Great job! Thanks for sharing!

    xxPaty @antesAltaquesinsilla.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words Paty! X Allison

      Delete